Thursday 5 March 2015

Eateries of Choice

Like most people, I enjoy going out for a good feed. However, I'm quite specific where I would go to find certain food or drink. I've visited a large number of local Adelaide eateries so I think I would be making a reasonably fair judgement call. I'm also quite picky when it comes to food and this gives me a clearer thought process about why I prefer the places that I do. Let's get started.

1. Burger Joint - E'Nuf Burger, Anzac Highway
This one will always be a touchy subject. However, my biggest peeves about burgers are two things; places that shove too much inside such that the heat ratios and flavour ratios don't match and places that do this correctly, but don't have good consistency in their product.

Let me give you an example. There are a number of burger places in the CBD that would be in the Top 5 burger joints. However, on any particular busy day, there is a high probability that you may be served something that would struggle to crack the Top 20. I'm not sure what the reason for this is but if you compare it too a quality restaurant (as upmarket gourmet burgers pretend to be), the wait staff at said restaurants are probably much better equipped at running a kitchen than the 'still finding' themselves or financed by mummy and daddy, kids working at the cool new hip burger bar.

Never been disappointed here

So the solution? There's one place I haven't been disappointed at yet. That's place is E'Nuf Burger on Anzac Highway. It looks like a cross between a take away joint and a diner and given its location, I've never seen it ridiculously busy such that all standards are thrown out the window. They have a great selection of burgers, so if you are after consistency I suggest you give them a try.

2. Bacon at Brunch Places - Queen Street Cafe, Croydon
Bacon is another type of food that can sometimes divide opinion. However, for the picky people like me, I am constantly disappointed by the bacon I am served, at many of Adelaide's fine brunch places. Places noted for mushrooms seem incapable of serving a decent side of bacon; you know the soggy and stringy kind. Maybe it's because the chefs vegan, and therefore all meat is murder, but seriously if you promise crispy bacon, I damn well expect the fatty bacon edge to come out crunchy like french fries. To me, if done correctly this is probably one of gods greatest gifts to man kind.

Gimme my crunchy bacon

Which now brings me to where you can find such a gift. I'm going to harp upon consistency again because I'm please to announced that the Queen St Cafe in Croydon, is once again delivering on this promise. The BLT is back with crispy, crunchy bacon goodness and I can only expect that the other items on the menu would provide a similar level of bacon goodness. If you appreciate good bacon, look no further.

3. Coffee - Bar 9, Glen Osmond
For most people, going for coffee is more about the outing than actually going for a good coffee. We are fortunate that in Adelaide, let alone Australia, that there is such a high level of coffee culture. As such, we are spoilt when it comes to the base level of coffee that is served to us.

I'm not a coffee connoisseur, but for me there is a very fine line between that great, strong coffee flavour and all out bitterness. Hopefully, an experienced barista will be able to confirm this statement; the best baristas can get extremely close to this fine line without ever crossing it. Hence, it is why their coffee tastes so much better.

TBH, I don't really care

If we look at it for a business point of view, this means that you will definitely lose customers if the coffee is too bitter. As such, if you don't have a skilled Barista, you will stop brewing well before you reach the 'tipping point.' I don't blame the many businesses for staying on the side of caution. After all it's your business and livelihood. However, for those of us who do crave to sip of well balanced, strong coffee, my pick (again for their consistency) is Bar 9 on Glen Osmond Road. I just wouldn't recommend their food (mushroom ragu may be the exception); but if you are after a great coffee, this is where I would go.

Like every post contained in this blog, I've really tried to offered reasons for why you should buy, taste or experience something other than following the fad decided by the misinformed rich kid. I hope this helps and I'll include a few more places over the coming weeks.

#Hanbaobao 

Follow me to stay up to date:
Instagram: @the_over_correction
Facebook: facebook.com/theovercorrection

Alternatively, any sharing of a post using the share bar below would be greatly appreciated and would be greeted with multiple imaginary high 5's.

No comments:

Post a Comment