Tuesday 14 April 2015

It Is Never Enough


I used to think that if I achieved certain things, I'd eventually be satisfied and content. This is was what enabled me to justify every compromise I had to make as I followed the natural progression that life set out for me. More specifically, it was the belief that the future gain would satisfy the reduction in real time happiness. I don't want to dwell too long on the progression, but basically I'm referring to the fact that high school and university were completed with minimal fuss and high returns.


This now brings us to working life and the routine it brings. Sure there was a need for rapid growth and room for development initially,  but even that was passed eventually. I would have thought that I'd eventually feel a sense of satisfaction but all that comes is an empty sense of accomplishment as it if was never in doubt. Even rises in salary seem to have a diminishing rate of satisfaction.

I recently read an article that happiness as a function of salary, caps at about $75,000 p.a. I realise how this post must make me sound; it is is very much a first world problems post.



Yet whilst this might be my set of circumstances, I'm sure there are plenty of people feeling the same way through their own experiences. Could the reason for this lack of fulfilled satisfaction be brought on by an artificial perception of what is happiness? Or is it because a big enough risk was not taken? 

There's probably some truth in both. So what can we do? 



Throughout all my posts, the key themes I keep coming back to are passion and communication. Without these two things, you really will feel a sense of emptiness. We often mistake comfort as a substitute for satisfaction. This is because comfort is easy to find. But even comfort can only sustain you for so long before you becoming longing for satisfaction or descend on a dark spiral of bitterness. Without trying to sound all philosophical and shit, I've realised that possibly the hardest thing in life is to find the right combination of passion, satisfaction and remuneration.


I know that this period of discovery may take some time before I even work it out (is there a possibility that it could be in doubt?). In the mean time what is important is that you enjoy the journey. Find that thing which makes the next day worth it. For me it's the extra shot of rum which I take every time I shut my cupboard. I encourage you to find and share yours.

#Hanbaobao

Follow me to stay up to date:
Instagram: @the_over_correction
Facebook: facebook.com/theovercorrection

Alternatively, any sharing of a post using the share bar below would be greatly appreciated and would be greeted with multiple imaginary high 5's.

No comments:

Post a Comment